Tuesday 18 May 2010

Beginnings

Right, where to start?

WARGAMING
I have been playing with the toy soldiers for the past twenty five years or so and in my time I have played a lot of different games, some pretty famously too. I was part of the duo that wrote WARHAMMER AHOY! the most well known set of ship rules for Warhammer Fantasy Battles. I still play AHOY! and am working on the third edition of the rules. I wrote a little article in White Dwarf 274, a good few years ago now, called 40k in 40 minutes, which kind of produced a mini 40k revolution in the world of Games Workshop as thousands of gamers started playing Combat Patrol across the world. I have written my own systems for games Blaze Of Glory is a Wild West game I wrote a few years ago and with another friend, Pete, I have written the award winning End Of Empire. Most recently I have had a series of three articles published in Wargames Illustrated entitled 1588 And All That.

If you want to find out more specific things about my wargaming habits go to

www.spiritofthegame.org.uk



LIVING HISTORY
This is now my fifth year in Living History. I am a Tudor at Kentwell Hall, in Suffolk, and Medieval soldier with the Medieval Siege Society. At Kentwell I am currently a Mercenary Captain of Guns, which mostly means I get to swank around in lots of black, occassionally make things go bang and every now and then chat to people about our Culverins. In the MSS I am a founder member of the Suffolk Free Company, a household of Yorkist mercenaries, whose Lord, John dela Pole (The 2nd Duke of Suffolk) allows to fight for others who support the true king Edward IV. We started as a company of fighting archers, but several of us have acquired a fair amount of armour and we making quite a good show at taking to the field as Men At Arms.

Find out about Kentwell at

www.kentwell.co.uk

and the Suffolks at


www.suffolkfreecompany.webs.com



No comments:

Post a Comment